Sonatrach Acquires more Shares in Medgaz Offshore Pipeline

Connect with us:

Algeria’s state-owned oil company Sonatrach has become a majority shareholder in the offshore 210Km long Medgaz gas pipeline, with a 51% stake, with Spanish gas and power utility Naturgy holding the remaining 49%.

The transaction consolidates Sonatrach’s position as a major and reliable supplier of Algerian gas to importing customers in Europe, especially in the Iberian Peninsula via the Medgaz gas pipeline. Sonatrach also holds a stake of 4% in Naturgy.

“With this acquisition, Sonatrach becomes a 51% shareholder in the new shareholding of Medgaz SA with its historic partner Naturgy at 49% and thus strengthens its position as a major and reliable supplier of Algerian Gas to importing customers to Europe, in particular the Iberian Peninsula through the Medgaz gas pipeline,” Sonatrach said in a statement.

The Medgaz gas pipeline has been in operation since 2010 and transports natural gas sourced from Beni Saf on the Algerian coast to Almeria in Andalusia.

The pipeline has a capacity of 8 billion cubic meters (bcm) of natural gas per year. Capacity of the pipeline is expected to be increased to 10.2bcm during the first quarter of 2021 through the addition of a fourth turbo-compressor at the Beni-Saf compression station.

Other Reads

Other Reads

Shuaib Van Der Schyff

Shuaib Van Der Schyff

A Digital Marketing Coordinator, and a Graduate from the University of Cape Town with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Media Studies and English Literature.

More from the Author

Sign up for latest news and event info

Copyright © 2023 Energy Capital & Power. Privacy Policy · Terms of Use